plaster Q&A's

Dear Debbie;

My house is about 75 years old. It has plastered walls which are not in the best of shape. I thought of drywall, but the added thickness would not line up with the door or floor trim. Do you have any suggestions for covering up the imperfections on the walls?


Dear Mildred;

To my mind, plaster walls are a real treat. They are smooth and cool, and a delight to decorate. Rather than covering the plaster up with drywall, I suggest you repair the cracks and even apply a skim coat of plaster over the walls. In an older house slight imperfections don't necessarily matter, and can add to the character of the home. You may choose to cover your walls with embossed wallpaper, which will hide small bumps and cracks.